Jumaat, 6 April 2018

The monkeyish mind


I was just reading one anecdote:

A great philosopher and world renowned mathematician is aboard an aeroplane. He is sitting in his seat and thinking great mathematical problems, when suddenly an announcement comes from the captain:

”I am sorry, there will be a a slight delay. Engine number one has cut out
and we are now flying on three engines.”

About ten minutes later another announcement:

”I am afraid there will be further delay – engines two and three have cut out
and there is only number four left.”

So the philosopher turns to the fellow sitting next to him and says,

”Good golly! If the other one cuts out we will be up here all night!”

When you are thinking in a certain line,
the very direction of it makes certain things possible,

absurd things also possible.

Now you can go into the direction, and you can go on and on. 

A monkey and a hyena were walking through the jungle together when the hyena said,

”Every time I go through those bushes over there a big lion jumps out and keeps on hitting me and hitting me, and I don’t know why!”

”Well, I will come with you this time,” said the monkey, ”and I will stick up for you.”

So they walked along together, and just as they got to the bushes a lion jumped out on them and started hitting the hyena. The monkey just climbed up in a tree and watched, so when the lion had gone

the half dead hyena asked the monkey,
”Why didn’t you come down and help me?”

And the monkey said,
”You were laughing so much I thought you were winning.”

Beware of the ego!

It can find ways and means to protect itself.
It can rationalize well;
the ego is a great rationalist,

and a rationalization is
its whole foundation.


Tiada ulasan:

Catat Ulasan